Wednesday, January 6, 2010

One day at a time........

So, most of you know that I am a pretty big sports fan. OK - in my case you can't really shorten the word to fan - yes I am a fanatic! Go Blue - You'll get 'em next year Tigers - And Go Lions - yes I said it - I am a Lions fan! Any of you that follow sports also know that no matter if a team is going through good times or bad times, there is always one common theme that resonates throughout the team - "We've just got to take it one day at a time!" That is a thought that keeps running through my head over the last 24 hours. Yesterday was somewhat surreal. Sam had mentioned the pity looks she got - at the infusion center - from the other patients! I couldn't help but think while we were sitting there for over 5 hours laughing, joking, watching Ellen dance, basically relaxing - that this was not in our plans! At 33 and 34, we did not expect this. (Yes Sam, cancer and all, I will take this opportunity to remind you that I am indeed a whole year younger than you). I mentioned this was not in our plans. Many of you also know that Sam and I are the biggest planners I think ever! Yup, I am going to go out on a limb and say we win the award! I have caught us planning on how we are going to make plans! Christine, stop laughing! So, while sitting there during Sam's chemo treatment, I of course start planning on how I am going to take care of things in the coming days, weeks and months while Sam is not feeling well. I find myself starting to get overwhelmed with all that is about to come our way. Then I remember the famous sports analogy: "We're just going to take it one day at a time." And for us, right now, I am not sure there is a better way to handle things. We didn't plan for this to happen. This disease has a mind of it's own and why should I think it will be any different going forward. We can plan all we want to, but it comes down to the fact that Sam is going to fight this and get better - and we have to take it on one day at a time!
-Tad

6 comments:

  1. The Florida BrannonsJanuary 6, 2010 at 11:44 PM

    So well said. That not only gave me a chuckle, but brought a slight tear to my cheek. And you are so right -- you can plan all you want, and it is still going to come down to one day at a time. I just knew all those years of running back and forth to the ballparks would pay off -- somehow, someday. I am so very proud of you both.

    Love, Mom (and the rest of the Florida gang)
    Our hearts and minds are with you both 24/7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I love that you knew I'd be laughing at that one! You planners! I love you both so much. Enjoying hearing your "voices" in this form. Xoxo christine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still in awe from the email today, my prayers are with you & Sam. Enjoy the laughter that you have together and one day at a time. Ya will always be my BEST neighbors in that house!!! We miss ya and I will be checking the blog for updates and the better days ahead.

    Love ya, Alta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely put Tad. Give your beautiful wife a big old hug from me. Love to you both.
    Becky K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best laid plan get twisted sometimes!!!
    God Bless you both!!! Love you!!!!
    Becky E

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my husband - sports are even a part of this! can't escape that with the Brannon Boys! Go Tigers!

    XO SAM

    ReplyDelete